Halloween is one of the most exciting holidays for children. They get to plan a fun costume to wear and go to Halloween parties. Let’s not forget all of the candy! Halloween can also be a stressful time for parents: finding or making a costume, decorating, and worrying about keeping your kids safe. We’ve put together a list of 15 Halloween Safety Tips to help keep your kids safe this Halloween!
- Try your costume on before you go Trick-or-Treating; it should be light-colored and short enough that you don’t trip on it. You can decorate the costume with reflective tape or stickers so you can easily be seen at night
- Wear comfortable shoes and make sure your laces are double-knotted to avoid tripping
- Avoid masks that make it hard to see your surroundings. You can use non-toxic make-up instead of a mask
- Don’t carry fake weapons (knives, swords, guns etc.) that look real; they should be flexible so as not to hurt you or anyone else
- Stay away from jack-o-lanterns and candles while you are wearing your costume.
- Make sure that your costume is made of a flame-retardant material. Go over the “Stop, Drop and Roll” routine before going trick-or-treating just in case.
- Never trick-or-treat alone! Make sure you have at least two buddies to go with you.
- Make a map of your trick-or-treating route before you head out. Make sure you and your parents have a copy.
- Only stop at well-lit houses. Never go inside a stranger’s house; only accept treats in the doorway.
- Stay on the sidewalk. If there is not a sidewalk available, walk facing oncoming traffic and keep a safe distance between you and the cars.
- Only cross the street at corners after looking both ways.
- Never run between parked cars or crisscross back and forth across the street
- Carry a watch, flashlight, glow stick and cell phone if possible
- Agree on a time when you will be home – if you are going to be late, call your parents.
- Always have a parent check your candy before you eat it
Let’s make this year the best Halloween ever! Share these safety tips with your friends and family. Be sure to order your McGruff Safe Kids Halloween Kit. The kit is an eight-page guidebook containing safety tips, fun games, recipes, costume ideas and more! Have a spooktacular, crime-free Halloween!